Life in the Silicon Rain Forest
Despite efforts by Oregon's governor and those who moved there because of the unspoiled quality of life, the population of Oregon has grown, and the economy boomed. This anti-growth strategy worked until the recession of the late 1970s, and then Oregon's population began to have second thoughts about combining economic growth with preservation of their quality of life. The 1980s have seen economic changes come to Oregon, as companies become attracted to what has become known as the silicon rain forest. The state of Oregon has been going through an identity crisis, and this state, which once led the nation on such issues as environmental quality, marijuana laws, and land use planning now feels it no longer leads in anything. Although the government has worked to change the business climate in Oregon, economic changes which have occurred are a result of the particular qualities inherent to the Pacific Northwest and the kind of people who live there and their particular brand of independence and commitment. The companies they have started (like Tektronix) have been molded to the Oregon tradition and have helped the state grow.
Publication Name: Inc.
Subject: Business, general
SAC is back: the new systems auditability and control report
The revision of "Systems Auditability and Control" (SAC), has been published in 12 volumes. SAC identifies audit risks and means to control risk for people working with systems and computer facilities. The revised SAC report is based on field interviews with bankers and corporate managers in North America, Europe, and Japan. The field interviews were conducted to elucidate what management felt were the areas that needed audit coverage. Those areas include imaging, electronic data interchange, and knowledge-based systems. The report also elucidated areas of continued concern, including data integrity and accuracy, business interruptions, and unauthorized access.
Publication Name: Management Accounting (USA)
Subject: Business, general
- Abstracts: A phone link to the deaf. This may be the time to give away real estate. A real page turner
- Abstracts: Corporate disclosure policy and analyst behavior. Corporate disclosure quality and the cost of debt. Segment profitability, misevaluation, and corporate divestment
- Abstracts: Litigation risk and auditor resignations. Low balling, legal liability and auditor independence
- Abstracts: When ethics travel: the promise and peril of global business ethics. Job Security: Pipe Dreams or Promise
- Abstracts: Why Real Estate is an Attractive Tax Shelter. How to settle an estate