Sodiaal, c'est laitage au-dessus
Sodiaal, the French dairy group, is going to accept financiers and milk producers as shareholders for its subsidiary Sodiaal International, which includes Yoplait, Candia and Riches Monts. However, the seven regional cooperatives which created Sodiaal in 1992 will retain control of the company. The funds collected through these new shareholders will be used to finance the group's growth and to buy back Yoplait franchises in Europe. The group also wants milk producers to share in the group's growth in value. Sodiaal made a 1997 turnover of FFr 17.5bn, and net earnings of FFr 49mn, and it reduced its debts to 66% of its equity. When Nicolas Le Chatelier, the president of the group, arrived in 1992, he closed more than 20 of the 50 plants which the seven cooperatives owned, and spent FFr 100mn to FFr 200mn on restructuring from 1993 to 1997. The group which collects milk throughout France pays a supplementary cost of 5 to 7 centimes a litre more than its competitors. As a result of its marketing policy and innovations, Yoplait is the world's second largest yogurt company, behind Danone. On French market of yogurt with fruit, Yoplait holds a 34% market share. Yoplait hopes to increase its profitability from 5% at present to 8.5% by the year 2001. Candia holds a 50% share of the market of enhanced milks, such as vitamin-enriched milk, and growing milk. Riches Monts has brought out a number of new products, and Sodiaal Industrie is expected to post profits by the year 2000.
To accept financiers & milk producers as shareholders for subsid Sodiaal Intnl which includes Yoplait, Candia & Riches Monts
Publication Name: Le nouvel Economiste
Subject: Business, international
Reprise prometteuse des achats d' quipementspar l'industrie alimentaire fran aise
In 1996, sales of food production equipment came to between FFr 6.5bn and FFr 7.5bn, and FFr 4.5bn of this was for liquid or semi-liquid products. When packaging, materials handling, and transport is included, the food industry's investment in equipment came to FFr 11bn. The sectors which invested the most are the beverage, meat, milk, and grain processing, which allocate FFr 1bn to these purchases every year. The two sectors which regularly increase their purchases are the dairy industry and the fish industry. France's foreign trade surplus in the domain of food industry equipment is between FFr 400mn and FFr 500mn.
France: In 1996, sales of food prodn equip come to FFr6.5-7.5 bil & FFr4.5 bil of this is for liquid or semi-liquid prods
Publication Name: AGRA Alimentation
Subject: Business, international
- Abstracts: Sodiaal se pr pare un ventuel accueil de partenaires financiers pour aider son d veloppement international Le groupe Schils rach te Sodiaal sa filiale Vals/
- Abstracts: Le secteur de l' lectricit est ouvert aux priv s Doublement de certains tarifs d' lectricit Le malawi va acheter du courant au Mozambique
- Abstracts: Reconduction des cr dits de politique industrielle Les probl mes demeurent sur l'IGP apr s l'adoption du projet Le Pensec
- Abstracts: Fiat gives some details of Romiti's retirement. Olivetti names candidates for Telecom Italia board. Telecom Italia names Colaninno
- Abstracts: CLT pursues half ownership of pay channel. Deutsche Telekom spinoff prohibits majority partner. Canal Plus would sell Vox stake