Consideration set measurement
The consideration set is a concept that is both intuitively appealing and practically useful. However, there is no standard operational definition of the construct, little reported research investigating alternative measures for empirically assessing the construct, and only limited investigation of interproduct differences in set characteristics (typically focusing on set size). Results of the experiment reported here indicate that situation-specific operational definitions yield smaller reported consideration sets that exhibit greater correspondence to reported purchases than do situation-neutral definitions, and that semantic variations within definition type have little impact on measured set characteristics. Further, findings indicate that much of the interproduct variation in consideration set size is related to awareness set size. (Reprinted by permission of the publisher.)
Publication Name: Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
A Simple Method for Analysing Consumer Preferences for Product Benefits
A simple model and data analysis method that attempts to predict consumer preferences for product benefits or features is presented. This is done by determining consumer preferences for single benefits, perceptions of the benefit associated with current brand and perceptions of the benefit bundle redundancy. The model is a variation of conjoint analysis methods. Results of a pilot test of the model are included. The advantages of the benefit bundle model include the simplicity of the data collection procedure and the ease with which parameters can be established. The model can be extended to related contexts.
Publication Name: Journal of the Market Research Society
Why Informational Is a Good Bet
Advertising can increase its effectiveness by providing consumers with information. Consumers like to know as much as possible about a product. It helps them make a purchasing decision. Informational advertising was presented on cable's CABLESHOP and strongly received. Another form of informational advertising was tested using teletext, and also had successful results.
Publication Name: Marketing & Media Decisions
- Abstracts: The education treasurer. The great stock option mystery. Silver lining to tech stock clouds?
- Abstracts: Coordinating Cash, Credit Management Speeds Export Collections. NCCMA Plan to Certify Cash Managers Gets Mixed Reactions
- Abstracts: Management accounting changes for new automated environments. Litton Reorganizes Systems Product
- Abstracts: Computer-Aided Marketing. Why Industrial Marketers Should Win the 'Unfair' Race for Marketing Jobs
- Abstracts: Taking the Business/Industrial Message to the Streets. Managing Career Success