Good things come in small packages
James Beattie is a department store group with nine outlets mainly in the West Midlands. It has improved and expanded the floor space of existing outlets which has led to improved profits. Breedon is based in Derbyshire and its main activities are limestone quarrying and house building, and its strong balance sheet gives it the flexibility to invest in key activities. Gearhouse Group supplies presentation and event production equipment to entertainment industries, and has a wide market presence on five continents. Secure Trust Banking Group has seen unbroken profit growth since flotation in 1988.
Publication Name: Investors Chronicle
We've come a long way
The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) has become an internationally renowned organiztion. CICA now offers new courses and journals and generates income from $10 to $12 million annually. The recommendations of the CICA's Public Sector Accounting and Auditing Committee and the Commission to Study the Public's Expectations of Audits now helps both government and corporate bodies in improving reporting and accountability. The CICA also made history when it elected Carol Loughrey as the first woman second vice-chair.
Publication Name: CA Magazine
The end of long-term care? The declining disability rate and what it means
Though the population as a whole is getting older, disability rates are declining. This is leading to changes in the way long-term health care is delivered. More people are shunning nursing homes in favor of plans that let them and their families to choose their own forms of care.
Publication Name: Journal of Financial Service Professionals
- Abstracts: Wawa takes on the customer challenge. The theoretical underpinnings of emotional dissonance: a framework and analysis of propositions
- Abstracts: Explaining variance in the performance of long-term corporate blockholders. Techno-etiquette
- Abstracts: U.S. household finance in the 1990s. The new face of interactive advertising. Opt in or Opt out?
- Abstracts: Reporting changes in the electricity supply industry and privatisation. Estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax changes in the 2001 act
- Abstracts: Directors and the Compnay - The Tax Implications. The effect of liability exposure on the actions of directors and officers of major U.S. firms