Needs of Loan Officers for Accounting Information from Large versus Small Companies
The informational needs of bank loan officers are taken to see to what extent the needs of users of financial statements of small or closely held businesses differ significantly from the needs of users of the financial statements of large public companies. The conclusion of the study is that the informational needs of bank loan officers do not differ substantially between large public companies and small private companies. The conclusion does not lend support to those who argue for two sets of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). The idea of creating two sets of GAAP is considered: to solve the problem of accounting standards overload, to retain the status quo, and to simplify GAAP for all business enterprises regardless of size or ownership characteristics.
Publication Name: Accounting and Business Research
Focus on Currencies
The recent decline in the dollar is sparked off by an apparent weakening in the United States economic data. This is because of: upward pressure on United States interest rates, a sharp rally in the deutschemark relative to the yen, and the emergence of Senator Hart as a senior Presidential challenger. The position of the dollar is of critical importance to all areas of the foreign exchange market. The deutschemark has had a burst of extreme strength and remains our probable star performer. It is less attractive relative to the yen. Swiss franc failed to benefit from the advance of the deutschemark. Sterling is in the doldrums in TWI terms.
Publication Name: The Accountant
Goodwill and understanding
Every business has goodwill, but understanding and measuring goodwill can be complex. Goodwill is the difference between the cost of buying a business's resources and the value of the business as a whole. Ways of measuring goodwill are examined.
Publication Name: Investors Chronicle
- Abstracts: A note on the role of memory in commercial loan officers' use of accounting and character information. An examination of market efficiency: information order effects in a laboratory market
- Abstracts: Accuracy and reliability of a technique for quantifying foot shape, dimensions and structural characteristics
- Abstracts: Technicians' focus turns to customer consulting. EU legislation boost for UK company. Team, Inc. (TMI)
- Abstracts: The information contained in reconciliations to earnings based on US accounting principles by non-US companies
- Abstracts: Top 25 M&A financial advisors of 1996. The effect of accounting-based covenants on equity valuation. Taxpayer as dealer, trader, or investor