The search for supporters
A number of organizations providegrants needed by business enterprises in England. The Dept of Trade and Industry (DTI) offers the most number of grants, providing support for investments, exports, research and development and business consultancy. Similarly, the Dept of Employments agency offers grants to individuals. Much ofits support is administered by its Training Enterprise Council in England and Wales for programs like employement training. The Dept of the Environment offers the City Grant which finances urban renewal projects and the Derelict Land Grants which subsidizes expenses for land re-use. The Dept of Transport funds railway and waterway facilities projects while the Ministry of Agriculture offers grants for agriculture and related projects. Grants offered by other organizations and the EC are also described.
Publication Name: Accountancy
The search for performance improvement
There has been an increasing use of performance related pay (PRP) schemes in UK's public sector since the middle of 1980s. The PRP, which is slowly replacing the old practice of raising salaries through seniority and annual increases, is based solely on employees' merit recognition. Government agencies and unions in the UK are conducting surveys on employee attitudes toward PRP to help improve the job performance reward system. Schools, colleges and universities have likewise included the PRP in their program.
Publication Name: Public Finance and Accountancy
Self-assessments spur business improvement at Merix Corporation
Electronic interconnect manufacturer Merix Corp. performs regular self-assessments to maintain its efficiency and competitiveness. Self-assessments are conducted using the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award model. The company also obtains third-party feedback and integrates these into their strategic planning process. Merix's efforts have resulted in many awards, the most recent being the 1996 Shingo Prize for Excellence in Manufacturing.
Publication Name: National Productivity Review
- Abstracts: Plus-Four garden tools. Assessing business intelligence (BI) and analytics tools for your imagination
- Abstracts: When is adjustment due to partners' retirement made? Dune writing case. Writing made easy
- Abstracts: A shopfloor solution to MRPII blues. Prior Wall Street Journal announcements of possible bankruptcy filings and price reactions to subsequent bankruptcy filings
- Abstracts: Watch for speed bumps ahead. Worlds in collision. Against all odds
- Abstracts: Morrisons in the running for Cleveland superstore New plant to desulfurize oil