Turnaround: retrenchment and recovery
An imbedded definition of corporate turnarounds in an operational context is provided based on an analysis of the retrenchment component of turnaround processes in industry. Three hypothesis linking the cause and severity of turnaround situations, retrenchment response, recovery response and the level of turnaround success give support to a proposed turnaround process model. The general functionality of retrenchment is examined using the hypothesis that links the level of turnaround success to retrenchment response. The second hypothesis looks into the influence of the turnaround situation on retrenchment response as a result of the introduction of the severity variable in turnaround situations. The third hypothesis focuses on the relationship between recovery response and the extent of turnaround success through the introduction of the situation cause variable.
Publication Name: Strategic Management Journal
Filling the retail vacuum
The Filipino shopping mall developers and operator Ever-Gotesco Resources and Holdings Inc. (EGRHI) was spun-off from the Ever-Gotesco Group in 1994, and in 1995 it boosted its public capital stock operations from Ps400,000 to Ps5 billion. EGRHI has struck a deal with the US warehouse club franchiser PriceSmart to franchise PriceSmart units in the Philippines to meet its shopping mall's needs for anchor tenants.
Publication Name: Asiamoney
- Abstracts: The battle for market share. Stock records during the financial year. The financial services supermarket
- Abstracts: Auditors' reputation: an analysis of press coverage in New Zealand. The chartered accountant in New Zealand: from professional qualifications to franchised brand
- Abstracts: Japanese accounting profession in transition. Professional accounting environment in Brunei Darussalam. Studies of accounting and commerce in Chaucer's Shipman's Tale
- Abstracts: Organizational configurations and performance: the role of statistical power in extant research. Assessment of statistical power in contemporary strategy research
- Abstracts: Earnings management of firms subjected to product price controls. Exchange rate exposure among European firms: evidence from France, Germany and the UK