Seismic images of a Grenvillian terrane boundary
Seismic data from Lakes Ontario and Erie show a sequence of gently dipping reflection zones that extend to mid-crustal levels representing a southeast dipping ductile thrust fault complex. A listric boundary zone image suggests a Grenvillian suture. 'Ramp folds,' 'ramp anticlines' and coeval or later out-of-sequence faulting of thrust sheets are also indicated by curvilinear reflections. Shallow-dipping reflections suggest an overlying wedge-shaped package of local half graben deposits. Such extension may have represented the collapse of the Grenville orogen or pre-Appalachian continental rifting.
Publication Name: Geology
Subject: Earth sciences
Lithospheric strength and intraplate seismicity in the New Madrid seismic zone
A hypothesis was proposed to expound on the occurrence of localized zones of tectonic deformation and seismicity in intraplate areas that experience uniform tectonic stresses. In lower crust and upper mantle temperatures are very low and the significant lithospheric deformation is absent. However, lithospheric deformation can occur in areas where lower crust and upper mantle temperatures are relatively high. Heat flow was discovered to be the main factor for the occurrence of the contrast in seismicity between the seismic zone and the surrounding area.
Publication Name: Tectonics
Subject: Earth sciences
- Abstracts: Seismic reflection images of high-angle faults and linked detachments in the Trans-Hudson Orogen. Geodynamic evolution and thermal history of the central Flin Flon domain, Trans-Hudson Orogen: constraints from structural development, Ar(super 40)/Ar(super 39), and stable isotope geothermometry
- Abstracts: Xenolith evidence for lithospheric melting above anomalously hot mantle under the northern Canadian Cordillera
- Abstracts: Effects of layering and anistropy on fault geometry. Discussion on a model for the structure and development of fault zones
- Abstracts: A tectonic model for Scandanian terrane accretion in the northern Scandinavian Caledonides. part 2 Origin and deformation of the Neogene-Recent Maghrebian foredeep at the Gela Nappe, SE Sicily
- Abstracts: Rb-Sr, K-Ar and fission track ages for granites from Penang Island, West Malaysia: an interpretation model for Rb-Sr whole-rock and for actual and experimental mica data