Can America stay on top?
The US has experienced economic growth without inflation problems that would normally be expected, and this may be due to productivity improvements. The internet and other aspect of new technology may have helped to boost productivity. Japan has been hit by lack of demand, while Europe has been affected by high levels of unemployment. The US appears stronger, given problems faced by some other economies. There could be a bubble which collapses, affecting the relative strength of the US. There may also be convergence, with developing economies catching up with advanced economies.
Publication Name: Journal of Economic Perspectives
The anti-dumping petition of the advanced display manufacturers of America: origins and consequences
An analysis of the factors and events behind the anti-dumping petition filed by the Advanced Display Manufacturers of America against their Japanese competitors is presented. The study explains the basis of the International Trade Commission's decision to levy anti-dumping duties on flat panel displays from Japan. It also highlights the inherent flaws of US trade policy with concerning its enforcement and its impact on related manufacturing sectors.
Publication Name: World Economy
America's new era
It can be argued that the US economy will undergo a period of prolonged stagnation in the medium term. During this time, unemployment will rise and there will be stock market deflation. If the current economic boom continues, the imbalances in the US economy will increase, making the subsequent slump worse. It seems very unlikely that policy-makers will be able to prevent the economic bubble bursting.
Publication Name: Economic Outlook
- Abstracts: America and the Falklands. Cost of Truth in America's Pensions. The De-Unionisation of America
- Abstracts: On the structural stability of trade equations: the case of Japan. Measurement of the unexpected US trade deficit
- Abstracts: On the relevance of learning and evolution to economic theory. Royal Commission 'Report on Transport and the Environment' - economic effects of recommendations
- Abstracts: Contract responsibility systems and productive efficiency: a case study on state-owned enterprises in China. Optimal law enforcement and victim precaution
- Abstracts: Europe. Credit and banking structure: Asian and African-American experience in Los Angeles