Industrial relations in changing times
This article examines the role of collective bargaining in industrial relations, focusing on the form the agreements take in order to assure the peace between employers and employees. The author uses an economic perspective to explain the behavior of agents taking part in collective agreements, with the aid of insurance models and switching strategies; the legitimization crisis of trade unions is discussed, as well as their declining numbers, suggesting more firm-specific rather than industry-wide focus by unions when bargaining to reverse this trend.
Publication Name: International Journal of Applied Economics and Econometrics
Land relations under unbearable stress: Rwanda caught in the Malthusian trap
A case study of northwest Rwanda showed that the increasing inequality of land distribution and rising incidence of poverty are caused by quasi-landlessness and the nonexistence of regular off-farm incomes. The access to regular off-farm incomes opportunities serves to highlight the inequalities in land distribution via the operation of active and illegal land market. Social relations and family life are also affected by the increasing incidence of land disputes and threats of land dispossession.
Publication Name: Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization
Engineers on the Production Floor? State-Level Evidence that Patenting and Production Locate Together
This paper studies the correlation between research and development on the one hand and production on the other, in the same place, from a national and sub-national points of view.
Publication Name: World Economy
- Abstracts: Interest-group competition and the organization of Congress: theory and evidence from financial services' political action committees
- Abstracts: Industrial Policy and Southward Enlargement of the European Community: The Case of Shipbuilding and Repairs. Towards a common European foreign and security policy?
- Abstracts: Vertical integration in the long run: the provision of physical assets to the London and New York stock exchanges
- Abstracts: Auto industrialization in southeast Asia: national strategies and local development. The Asia-Pacific area needs a stronger sense of community address by William Clark, Jr. to the Mid-America Committee
- Abstracts: Italy. Money and inventories in an economy with uncertain and sequential trade. The long-run stability of the demand for money: Italy 1861-1996