The benefits of releasing the Bell companies from the interexchange restrictions
Consumers will benefit substantially if the Modification of Final Judgment (MFJ) will release the regional Bell operating companies (RBOCs) from the interexchange services restrictions effected at the time of the AT&T 1984 divestiture. Within the decade after the divestment, state and federal regulations were developed to safeguard anticompetitive actions in the interexchange market. At present, the unregulated market shows no such behavior among the telephone companies. In fact, the release of the RBOCs from the restrictions will foster competitiveness.
Publication Name: Managerial & Decision Economics
Network interconnection in telecommunications
The possibility of establishing network interconnection among telecommunication companies was assessed through consideration of two situations. Under a symmetric, unregulated industry, companies are more likely to establish interconnection charges above related costs in an effort to attain the joint profit-maximizing result. Under an industry in which incumbency advantages exist, the degree of payment the entrant and the incumbent must pay in relation to access costs depends on factors such as the market power of the entrant.
Publication Name: Economic Journal
How alliances are reshaping telecommunications
The increasing competition within the telecommunication industry is forcing several companies to engage in strategic alliances. Among telecommunication firms, propectors manifested the highest degree of strategic alliance activity followed by analyzers and defenders. The high incidence of inter-industry alliances within the US demonstrate the ongoing domestic deregulation while alliances within the industry but outside US demonstrate a shift toward international privatization and deregulation of national telecom industries.
Publication Name: Long Range Planning
- Abstracts: Representative firm analysis and the character of competition: glimpses from the Great Depression. Measuring prices and quantities of treatment for depression
- Abstracts: Breaking into China. Strategic Lessons from the Asian Crisis. The Strategic Reaction of Domestic Firms to Foreign MNC Dominance: the Israeli Experience
- Abstracts: On the dynamic effects of using hired labor in the Kibbutz - theory and case studies. Random pricing by labor-managed firms in markets with imperfect consumer information
- Abstracts: The loan guarantee program: reducing direct loan administration. Strategic listening: the key to Ohio's economic development success
- Abstracts: Changing the hospital and related services component of the consumer price index. Consumer inflation in 1997 at 11-year low