Charity that begins at home ends in the lab
The 92 charitable organisations belonging to the Assn. of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) are all registered with the Charity Commission, have medical research as a principal activity, and use peer review in the allocation of grants and awards for research. Most AMRC members raise their funds through donations from the general public and spend less than 500,000 pounds sterling/yr. Nevertheless the AMRC spent 340 million pounds sterling on UK medical research in 1995/96, of which 74% was spent on supporting work in universities.
Publication Name: Times Higher Education Supplement
Incredible news: tabloids meet news
The mainstream news media have long been vociferous about criticizing tabloid news. However, they have also attempted to gain the same audience by reporting stories that have content similar to that of the tabloid media and by seeking opinions of media critics about their news treatment.
Publication Name: Current
- Abstracts: Warrington's 2 million pounds sterling transfer. Love them or hate them, tables are here to stay. The usual rules apply online
- Abstracts: First brushes with the real world. Conflict is dead, long live the capitalist. A word in your shell-like
- Abstracts: A faith that crucifies women. Faith in an age of isms. Tale of a duo's faith in the Ivy League
- Abstracts: Marriage of best minds. Meating of minds; the carnivore versus omnivore debate. Time to open ears and minds to globalisation
- Abstracts: Marriage of best minds. Art of old masters in moulding minds