Wisconsin gets an early start
Employment and training centers in Wisconsin provides career information to middle and high school students. The services are funded by federal grants. The centers offer access to the Internet, computerized information and full-time staff. They offer a five-step program for students that starts with career awareness in the 7th grade and ends with applications for further education in the 12th grade.
Publication Name: The Vocational Education Journal
When the Net gets too hot for commerce to handle
The future of academic network management is discussed in the light of recent US and Australian experience with congestion since their academic networks were moved into the commercial market of network provision. Janet (Joint Academic Network) has been in operation in the UK for 15 years, and although the system was upgraded to SuperJanet in 1993, it is already being challenged by equivalents.
Publication Name: Times Higher Education Supplement
Peer victimization and mental health during early adolescence
Research on peer victimization and its mental health consequences during early adolescence is described. It is suggested that concrete actions should be taken by teachers to promote a safer environment for their students.
Publication Name: Theory into Practice
- Abstracts: Dark episodes and scar tissue on the psyche. A shot in the dark. A light for dark Burmese days
- Abstracts: Shadow games as the sun set. Lads of hope and glory. Power and glory games
- Abstracts: Presidential power: it's less than we think. What main street can learn from malls. Spending time: do we have more or less today?
- Abstracts: On writing in an on-line world: seek to be intelligible. Life on the line: The Arizona-Mexico border. Crossing the line: stories on mapping the maze
- Abstracts: Bridge construction ahead. Learning from the Greeks. Learning to trust