The people's choice
Kostroma, Russia residents expressed their opposition to the use of nuclear power when they voted down a proposed nuclear plant project during a Dec. 1996 referendum. Over 240,000 people or 80% of the voters rejected nuclear power fearing that it may lead to another Chernobyl accident. Meanwhile, another referendum is scheduled in the Krasnoyarsk Region wherein the people will decide whether to continue the construction of nuclear fuel reprocessing plant.
Publication Name: Greenpeace (Washington, D.C.)
Subject: Environmental issues
Preserving the past
A musician narrates the story behind her collection of old sewing machines. It started in 1986 when she applied for a part-time job in a chain fabric store as a seller of Singer sewing machines. She started purchasing old but serviceable machines then discovered the joy of repairing them.
Publication Name: Threads
Subject: Fashion and beauty
The capitalist threat
Unregulated free-market capitalism is being adopted in far too many areas of life, and threatens the existence of what philosopher Karl Popper called the 'open society.' This threatens important values, such as social justice and economic stability, which thwart totalitarianism..
Publication Name: The Atlantic Monthly
Subject: News, opinion and commentary
- Abstracts: The empire's new clothes. Cents and sensibility: we readily talk about addictions, so why can't we discuss out dividends?
- Abstracts: Live and let die. Gold standard
- Abstracts: Return to Amchitka. Eight-week rule on the way out
- Abstracts: On the practice of ecology. Face to Face - J. Peter Grace
- Abstracts: A sea lion rescue. Warfare and health