Explaining differences in farm lending among banks
The factors influencing cross-sectional differences in banks' agricultural production lending operations are examined. The study focuses on both, but makes distinctions between, the structural attributes of banks and the characteristics of the markets in which the bank operates. Findings show that banks have a greater tendency to lend to agricultural borrowers near their branches, while large banks and those with headquarters in a Metropolitan Statistical Area are less likely to engage in farm lending.
Publication Name: Economic Review (San Francisco)
Work and the Future
The Blackett Memorial Lecture for 1983 concerns the future of employment in Great Britain. There is plenty of work. Unemployment arises because society does not make a connection between the unemployed and work which needs to be done. Patterns of employment are reviewed in order to understand the rise in unemployment. Education has not been adequate. Society must learn to adapt. Suggestions for improvement are given. A graph shows the pattern of employment.
Publication Name: Journal of the Operational Research Society
Subject: Computers and office automation industries
Stack 'em up!
Recipes for Santa Fe pizza stacks, sweet zesty chicken and Italian green beans are presented. The recipes were submitted by readers for a contest that required a brand of spaghetti sauce as one of the maximum of eight ingredients and one that children can help prepare.
Publication Name: Woman's Day
Subject: Family and marriage
- Abstracts: Urban-rural cost-of-living differentials in a developing economy. Urban infrastructure and industrialization
- Abstracts: Geographic differences and the location of new manufacturing facilities. The effect of technological uncertainty on the optimal location of a competitive firm
- Abstracts: Evidence on metropolitan wage differences across industries and over time. A Canadian regional general equilibrium model and some applications
- Abstracts: Conference focuses on early education. A shot at preventing cancer. Tech revolution
- Abstracts: Expert systems: the pros and cons. Tranquilizers: handle with care