A physician describes the death of a 72-year-old patient placed on a ventilator after suffering bleeding in his brain. The doctors attending the patient discuss the appropriateness of his care, his terminal status, and his treatment in the hospital's emergency department. A story of the patient's time in the military in 1944 is included.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
The Greatest Fear
An emergency room physician's assistant relates his struggle to overcome his fear concerning diagnosing patients with chest pain, given the complicated nature of the potentially life threatening symptom. The doctor discusses his growth and maturity in dealing with these types of medical situations.
Publication Name: Physician Assistant
Reflections of a lake
Speaking as the voice of the lake, a doctor reflects on his experiences as a counselor at a lakeside summer camp for sick children. As they play in the water, the sick and disabled children enjoy the simple and restorative pleasure of wading and swimming, momentarily unencumbered by disability.
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
- Abstracts: A wait on my mind. The uncharted mind. Preying on your mind
- Abstracts: Treatment of male infertility. The treatment of scabies with ivermectin. Endometrial resection for the treatment of menorrhagia
- Abstracts: Mind matters. Mrs Green's decline. Green matters
- Abstracts: Bacterial contamination of an anesthetic agent. The treatment of hypothermia
- Abstracts: Sleep patterns in young babies. The young ones