Blood transfusion and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
The relationship of blood transfusion and the risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has been studied and no association was found. A case-control, population-based study using pathologically verified non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cases and transfusion documented through medical records was carried out to test the hypothesis that transfusion might be a risk factor for the disease. In 221 age-and sex-matched case-control pairs, 1975-1993, in a relatively isolated urban area, the odds ratio found was 0.84 for history of transfusion and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and in subgroup analysis no apparent association was seen.
Publication Name: American Journal of Epidemiology
Allelic variation in the vitamin D receptor, lifestyle factors and lumbar spinal degenerative disease
Variation in the vitamin D receptor (VDR) gene and lifestyle factors may be associated with spinal degenerative disease in the elderly. Researchers examined X-rays and genetic profiles of 282 people over 60 years of age. VDR gene variants were associated with the development and severity of spinal osteophytosis, disc space narrowing, and arthritis. Smoking and increased body weight were associated with greater spinal disease. The VDR gene may affect bone quality, which then affects the development of spinal degeneration.
Publication Name: Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases
- Abstracts: Pregnancy and the timing of intercourse. Distingushing the effects of maternal and offspring genes through studies of "case-parent triads."
- Abstracts: Prevalence and risk factors for Chlamydia tracomatis infection in low-income rural and suburban populations of Mexico
- Abstracts: The significance of transvaginal ultrasonographic evaluation of the cervix in women treated with emergency cerclage
- Abstracts: An overview of HIV prevention in the United States. Science, politics, and AIDS prevention policy. Anti-HIV-1 activity of inorganic polyphosphates
- Abstracts: Nutritional status of HIV-1 seropositive patients in the Free State province of South Africa: anthropometric and dietary profile