Current role of digitalis therapy in patients with congestive heart failure
The drug digitalis has been used in the treatment of congestive heart failure for over 200 years. Congestive heart failure is a manifestation of the heart's inability to pump blood effectively and results in the accumulation of fluid in tissues, especially the lungs. It can be caused by many heart disorders, including heart attack. Recently, new drugs that cause dilation of blood vessels (vasodilators) have been shown to be successful in the treatment of congestive heart failure. (These drugs cause vessel walls to relax and, thereby, increase their diameter and improve blood flow.) However, it is still believed that digitalis therapy is beneficial. Recent data are presented on the value of using digitalis to treat congestive heart failure. Adverse side effects associated with vasodilators are not seen with digitalis. Treatment with digitalis improves blood flow at rest and during exercise. In addition to enhancing circulation in the heart, digitalis also strengthens the performance of the heart itself. Both long-term and short-term digitalis treatment have been shown to be beneficial in improving the condition of the heart. This has been confirmed by increased functional exercise capacity in patients with congestive heart failure. Patients treated with digitalis often receive diuretics as well; these drugs remove retained sodium and water. Treatment with digitalis and diuretics appears to be the best initial treatment of congestive heart failure. If the condition is not controlled by this regimen, vasodilators may be also given. (Consumer Summary produced by Reliance Medical Information, Inc.)
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
Pilonidal sinus: The bottom line
A pilonidal cyst usually occurs in the upper part of the cleft between the buttocks as a reaction to an ingrown hair. An opening or sinus develops, discharging purulent material. Pilonidal sinus is initially inflamed and painful, and the main focus of management and nursing care should be perianal skin care, and shaving the area. The need for meticulous hygiene must be emphasized, due to the site of the sinus, and patients are recommended to bathe after each bowel movement.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
Digitalis for treatment of congestive heart failure in patients in sinus rhythm
A summary of a research report entitled "Digitalis for Treatment of Congestive Heart Failure in Patients in Sinus Rhythm" by W.B. Hood, Jr. et al is presented. The main points of the research are discussed.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
- Abstracts: Reduction of sympathetic hyperactivity by enalapril in patients with chronic renal failure. Effect of growth hormone treatment on the adult height of children with chronic renal failure
- Abstracts: Intrathecal immune response in patients with the post-polio syndrome. Effects of intrathecal morphine on the ventilatory response to hypoxia
- Abstracts: Management of fever in patients with cancer and treatment-induced neutropenia. Side effects of adjuvant treatment of breast cancer
- Abstracts: Thrombolytic therapy of patients with acute myocardial infarction. Bolus Fibrinolytic Therapy in Acute Myocardial Infarction
- Abstracts: Mortality in infants discharged from neonatal intensive care units in Georgia. Fetal Deaths Related to Maternal Injury