Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy following aortic surgery
Joint disease marked by joint enlargement called hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (HOA) may be one of the first signs of infectious complications associated with heart bypass surgery. A 67 year old male patient who had had heart bypass surgery five years previously developed painful HOA. Further testing revealed a Streptococcus milleri infection in the bypass tissue that was treated with antibiotics. However, the patient died from infection and heart complications.
Publication Name: Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases
Supraventricular Tachycardia in Infancy
Esophageal electrophysiology (EP) test results do not adequately predict which infants with supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) will require medical treatment and which will not. SVT is a heart rhythm defect that often resolves without treatment. Researchers tested 33 infants with SVT and followed their progress until one year of age. Twenty-seven infants required medication, and five did not. All infants had absent or controlled SVT by one year of age.
Publication Name: Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine
- Abstracts: Effect of activity on supraventricular tachyarrhythmias after coronary artery bypass surgery. Expanding role of coronary angioplasty: current implications, limitations, and nursing considerations
- Abstracts: Preoperative aspirin therapy and reoperation for bleeding after coronary artery bypass surgery. The coronary stress of skiing at high altitude
- Abstracts: Influence of coumarin treatment on patency and limb salvage after peripheral arterial reconstructive surgery. part 2
- Abstracts: Current trends: deaths from oral cavity and pharyngeal cancer - United States, 1987. part 2 Varicella-related deaths among adults - United States, 1997
- Abstracts: Trebling of the incidence of testicular cancer in Victoria, Australia (1950-1985)