Emerging pathogens: threat and opportunity
Most diseases associated with emerging pathogens are not truly new, but may be reemergent, and most are zoonoses, from animal reservoir hosts. Many probably were not identified before; others may have been sequestered so that they did not become widespread, as is often true of reemergent diseases. Factors that facilitate development of new diseases include those related to the environment reservoir/vector components, human causes and microbial characteristics. Human causes are the most important and include agricultural/economic development, and changes in demographics, behavior, travel, technology, and public health systems.
Publication Name: Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
'No medical' builders' insurance
New insurance concern B and CE Insurance is offering policies to people working in the construction industry, who are often shunned by other insurers. It will not discriminate against men or smokers, and will not insist on a medical examination. Initially, it is offering a personal accident insurance policy costing less than 2.50 pounds sterling a week for 50,000 pounds sterling life cover.
Publication Name: Occupational Safety & Health
- Abstracts: Emerging issues in medical ethics. Ethics Manual, Fourth Edition
- Abstracts: Factors affecting outcome in meningococcal infections. Fifth disease and other parvovirus B19 infections. Factors influencing postoperative recurrence of Crohn's disease in childhood
- Abstracts: Probiotics in human medicine. Learn medicine, see the world. Reply to 'Must maternity medicine be reborn?'
- Abstracts: Overcoming the prejudice against establishing a national health care system. Violence to health staff - four times national average
- Abstracts: Subcutaneous or intramuscular insulin injections. Insulin, the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and blood pressure