A 59-year-old man with gout and a painful preauricular mass
A 59-year-old man was hospitalized with a hearing impairment and a painful mass in front of his right ear. A CT scan revealed that his right temporomandibular joint, or jaw, was filled with some type of mineralized material. It also showed evidence of joint inflammation and erosion of cartilage. Surgery on his jaw revealed excessive growth of synovium, the membrane that lines joints. It was also calcified, leading to a diagnosis of synovial chondromatosis. Chemical analysis of the deposits revealed that they were probably gout, which he had developed in his right foot also.
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
The diagnosis and treatment of gout are reviewed. Topics include hyperuricemia, risk factors, incidence, clinical features, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), corticosteroids, colchicine, xanthine oxidase inhibitors, and uricosurics. Gout is a type of arthritis that commonly affects the big toe but it can also occur in other joints.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
The authors present a case history of a 72 year old man with various arthritic and other problems in order to discuss methods of diagnosis of gout as well as proper treatment when a patient has multiple additional medical problems. Diagnostic technique is described for periods of acute pain as well as during periods of inactivity.
Publication Name: Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases
- Abstracts: A 57-year-old woman with a pulmonary mass. Gas embolism. Vena caval filters for the prevention of pulmonary embolism
- Abstracts: Desmopressin for nocturnal enuresis. A 25-Year-Old Man with Uncontrollable Thirst and Polyuria. Long-term control of blood pressure and sodium balance: is the baseline nocturnal?
- Abstracts: Poverty and ill-health go hand-in-hand. Health and poverty in Bangladesh. The Worst of Both Worlds: Poverty and Politics in the Balkans
- Abstracts: Healthier Mothers and Babies--1900-1999. Helping families to cope
- Abstracts: Data rape. Women's gains - and men's fears. Rape: do your fears fit the facts?