Hyperinsulinism as a marker in obese children
Obese children resist losing weight. They either lose and regain it or fail to lose it at all. It is difficult to ascertain whether obesity is a behavioral or metabolic problem. Eighteen obese males, 5 to 16 years of age, were studied to ascertain the relationship between insulin and the metabolic profile and eventual weight loss. After defining the metabolic profile of each child, researchers then focused longitudinally on their weight loss. The subjects were divided into "normoinsulinemic" and "hyperinsulinemic" groups. All the study participants lost weight, and no relationship was found between the insulin profile and other variables except for a reduction in weight. Whereas weight loss depended on the duration of treatment in "normoinsulinemic" subjects, such was not the case with "hyperinsulinemic" subjects. Abnormal insulin levels reflect an adiposity-related endocrinopathy that can usually be dealt with by losing weight and lifestyle changes.
Publication Name: American Journal of Diseases of Children
Wheelchairs: what the NHS can offer
Wheelchairs are required for an increasing number of people to maintain independence and wheelchair services are under pressure to meet the increased demand. Clients must be properly assessed, evaluating physical problems together with psychological and social requirements, as there are several different types of wheelchair.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
- Abstracts: Guidelines for safe transportation of children in wheelchairs
- Abstracts: Further change in the pattern of mental illness in the elderly. part 2 Gender-mediated clinical features of depressive illness: the importance of temperamental differences
- Abstracts: Human immunodeficiency virus transmission by child sexual abuse. part 2 A third pattern of disease progression in children infected with human immunodeficiency virus
- Abstracts: Cortical resection for children with epilepsy: perspectives in pediatrics. part 2 What will it take to fully protect all American children with vaccines? An update
- Abstracts: Autologous bone marrow transplantation for advanced breast cancer. part 2 Peripheral-blood stem-cell transplantation