Implications of halted study's finding's for hypertension guidelines unclear
The data from Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial (ASCOT) which was halted in December 2004 at the recommendation of the trial's independent data safety monitoring board when an interim analysis of the data found that a newer treatment strategy of amlodipine and perindopril was superior to the older treatment regimen of atenlol and bendroflumethiazide. Experts are divided over whether findings from the ASCOT trial warrant changes in treatment guidelines for high blood pressure.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
Drug safety reform at the FDA - Pendulum swing or systematic improvement?
Legislation for major drug safety reform at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for protection against drug' risk, based on recommendations by Institute of Medicine (IOM) is expected to be passed in 2007. The proposed drug safety reforms include increased funding for FDA and postmarketing surveillance of drugs
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
- Abstracts: Clinical implications of cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors for acute dental pain management: benefits and risks. Providing dental care to survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- Abstracts: Live attenuated versus inactivated influenza vaccine in infants and young children. Safety and efficacy of an attenuated vaccine against severe rotavirus gastroenteritis
- Abstracts: Medical countermeasures for pandemic influenza: Ethics and the law. Why rich countries should care about the world's least healthy people
- Abstracts: Cost-effectiveness of cotrimoxazole prophylaxis among persons with HIV in Uganda. Unfinished business - Expanding HIV testing in developing countries
- Abstracts: Effects of stress on children examined. New clues to HDL's benefits revealed. Not all placebos are equal