Population requirements for capitation planning in pediatric cardiac surgery
A proposed statistical model may help health care providers anticipate treatment charges generated by children undergoing heart surgery. Researchers calculated the population size needed to accurately predict these revenues based on the records of 750 children who had heart surgery over a 3-year period. They divided the patients into groups according to the complexity of their surgery. Each category (A through D) had a predicted cost associated with it. This model indicated that there would be 100 pediatric heart surgeries expected among a population of one million persons. The expected percentages by group would be 9.6% having a simple procedure (group A), 40% in group B, 23.5% in group C, and 26.9% having a complex procedure (group D). The accuracy of these group estimates decreased with smaller population sizes. The estimates were reasonably consistent from one year to the next.
Publication Name: Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine
Protease inhibitor-based therapy is associated with decreased HIV-related health care costs in men treated at a Veterans Administration hospital
The use of protease inhibitors (PIs) may save money in the long run by shifting more health care costs to outpatient treatment. Researchers evaluated the total cost of providing health care to 300 HIV patients treated at VA hospitals between January 1, 1995 and July 31, 1997. During this period, the average monthly cost of all AIDS drugs per patient tripled as more patients began taking PIs. However, total health care costs decreased because inpatient hospital costs dropped over 50%. For every dollar spent on PIs, $8.20 was saved on total health care costs.
Publication Name: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology
- Abstracts: Cost-effectiveness of detecting and treating diabetic retinopathy. Diabetic retinopathy
- Abstracts: Observations on the haemopoietic response to critical illness. Intrathoracic extramedullary hematopoiesis in beta-thalassemia intermedia
- Abstracts: Trebling of the incidence of testicular cancer in Victoria, Australia (1950-1985)
- Abstracts: A prospective analysis of 1,518 laparoscopic cholecystectomies. Laparoscopic herniorrhaphy: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technology Assessment (DATTA)
- Abstracts: Jealousy: the pathology of passion. Unmet mental health needs of women in public-sector gynecologic clinics