Efficacy of Influenza Vaccination in HIV-Infected Persons
Influenza vaccination is highly effective in HIV-infected patients and does not seem to have an effect, either positive or negative, on any substantial changes in viral load or CD4 cell count. A total of 102 HIV-infected patients were given an injection of either influenza vaccine or a non-therapeutic saline. Of the patients who received only the saline solution, 49% had some respiratory symptoms. Of the patients who received influenza vaccine, 29% reported symptoms. None of the patients who received the vaccine had a laboratory-confirmed case of flu, although ten of the 47 who received a saline solution were confirmed with flu.
Publication Name: Annals of Internal Medicine
Neurocognitive impairment in human immunodeficiency virus infection is correlated with sexually transmitted disease history
Sexually transmitted diseases may play an as yet unclear role in the development of dementia among patients with HIV infections. Four hundred fifty-three HIV-positive patients and 219 HIV-negative volunteers completed intelligence and thinking skills' tests. Test scores were lower among HIV-positive patients with a history of syphilis or gonorrhea infections compared to HIV-positive patients without such a history. However, test scores were similar in HIV-negative volunteers with or without a history of syphilis or gonorrhea infections.
Publication Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Abstracts: Moraxella (Branhamella) catarrhalis bacteremia: a case report and literature review. Abnormalities in bilirubin and liver enzyme levels in adult patients with bacteremia: a prospective study
- Abstracts: Chronic psychosis in Turner's Syndrome: a case report and a review
- Abstracts: Atherogenic effects of anabolic steroids on serum lipid levels: a literature review. Risk factors and early extracoronary atherosclerotic plaques detected by three-site ultrasound imaging in hypercholesterolemic men
- Abstracts: Multiple myeloma in pregnancy: a case report. Cis-platinum combination chemotherapy during pregnancy for advanced ovarian carcinoma
- Abstracts: Cellular schwannoma: a clinicopathologic study of 57 patients and 58 tumors. part 2 Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors of the buttock and lower extremity: a study of 43 cases