Neurological disorders related to HTLV-I and HTLV-II
HTLV-I and HTLV-II are viruses associated with a variety of neurologic disorders. One of the disorders associated with these viruses is known as HTLV-I associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP). Many patients with HAM/TSP have immune cells that react with a viral protein. These immune cells can be found in spinal fluid, which could cause their symptoms. Other patients have neurologic disease and HTLV-I infection, but no evidence of an immune reaction against the virus. Patients with HTLV-I infection can also develop polymyositis, which is a widespread muscle inflammation. Their symptoms and muscle biopsies are similar to those who develop polymyositis but are not infected with HTLV-I. One patient who had many of the symptoms of HTLV-I infection was found to be infected with HTLV-II.
Publication Name: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes
Thyroid disorders in the adult
Thyroid disease may be difficult to diagnose despite being a common health problem. A review of normal thyroid function is followed by a discussion of abnormal conditions, such as excessive or inadequate amounts of thyroid hormone. Diagnostic techniques and treatment options as well as underlying causes of thyroid disease are included. Readers can test their proficiency by answering ten questions in the attached quiz.
Publication Name: Physician Assistant
Are thalamocortical rhythms the rosetta stone of a subset of neurological disorders?
Inappropriate rhythms in the thalamocortical loop may cause movement disorders, epilepsy, chronic pain and even affective disorders such as depression. This explains why destruction of a part of the thalamus can alleviate tremor.
Publication Name: Nature Medicine
- Abstracts: The cloning and clinical implications of HGV and HGBV-C. The clinical significance of fusion oncogenes in cancer
- Abstracts: Autonomic disorders and their recognition. Neuropathic diabetic foot ulcers. Eating disorders and diabetic complications
- Abstracts: Epidemiological study of complete and partial hydatiform mole in Abu Dhabi: influence of maternal age and ethnic group
- Abstracts: Alcohol use, liberal/conservative orientations, and ethnicity as predictors of sexual behaviors
- Abstracts: Ethical conflicts in regulating the start of life. When restrictions become restraints. Julius B. Richmond and Head Start: the dream become reality