Pemetrexed (Alimta) for mesothelioma
Pemetrexed is an antimetabolite that inhibits several enzymes involved in folate metabolism, including dihydrofolate reductase, thymidylate synthase and glycinamide ribonucleotide formyltransferase. The most common adverse effect of pemetrexed is myleosupression rash, fatigue, mouth sores, nausea and diarrhea; the cost of one dose for an average size adult would be about $5000.
Publication Name: Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Pleural effusion: from diagnostic thoracentesis to thoracoscopy
It is sometimes difficult to diagnose pleural effusion correctly. The physician may have to rely on a variety of tests and procedures if a simple chest examination fails to diagnose the effusion. Diagnostics include imaging studies, thoracentesis, closed-needle pleural biopsy, and thoracoscopy. The latter technique approaches a diagnostic accuracy of 95%.
Publication Name: Physician Assistant
Malignant pleural mesothelioma
Malignant pleural mesothelioma is a respiratory disease which is associated with people who have been exposed to asbestos and which is becoming more common. The symptoms of the disease and the care of patients are discussed.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
- Abstracts: Integration of medical care and worksite health promotion. From Disease Prevention to Health Promotion. Race, treatment, and long-term survival from prostate cancer in an equal-access medical care delivery system
- Abstracts: Management strategies for chronic pain. Chronic wrist pain: diagnosis and management. Development and use of a new algorithm
- Abstracts: Tempting GNVQ health and social care students into the world of nursing. A natural nursing talent
- Abstracts: Readability of breast self-exam literature. Low molecular weight heparins: the future of thromboembolic therapy
- Abstracts: She says she was rejected by a college for being white. Is she paranoid, racist or right? 'Why I left the White House'