Prevalence and determinants of prone sleeping position in infants: results from two cross-sectional studies on risk factors for SIDS in Germany
Data suggest that subgroup-specific public intervention campaigns may be required to reduce prevalence of prone sleeping further in countries where there has been no nationwide campaign about dangers to infants, although information on prone sleeping as a risk factor for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) has been available for some time. Results from two cross-sectional studies in Germany, one for Germans and one for Turkish immigrants, have been analyzed relative to sleeping position of infants, prone or otherwise, and other modifiable SIDS risk factors. In 1995 those most likely to lay infants prone were less likely to follow advice than others and more likely to be less than 20 years of age, to have two or more children, to be Turkish in ethnicity, to have less education, to be raised in West Germany, and to be single parents.
Publication Name: American Journal of Epidemiology
Genetic characterization of diverse HIV- 1 strains in an immigrant population living in New York City
The genetic characterization of HIV- 1 strains circulating in an immigrant population in New York City (NYC) is presented as the city has greater number of AIDS cases than any other city in the US. Phylogenetic analysis using maximum-likelihood and neighbor-joining methods demonstrated that non-B subtypes and circulating recombinant forms (CRFs) accounted for 43.4%, whereas the remaining 56.6% cases had viral variants similar to the typical North American subtype B virus.
Publication Name: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (1999)
Culture and dental health among African immigrant school-aged children in the United States
This article examines the opinions of African immigrant parents' and their children on dental health and dental caries.
Publication Name: Health Education
- Abstracts: Variations in methadone treatment practices: results from a national study. Multiple risk factor intervention trial: risk factor changes and mortality results
- Abstracts: Health effects of radon exposure. Intercomparison of retrospective radon detectors. More radon affected premises
- Abstracts: The nutrition transition in China: a cross-sectional analysis. Nutrition survey of the Hungarian population in a randomized trial between 1992-1994
- Abstracts: Prevention of preterm birth. Determinants of preterm birth rates in Canada from 1981 through 1983 and from 1992 through 1994
- Abstracts: Prevalence and impact of cyclic mastalgia in a United States clinic-based sample. European randomized, multicenter study of goserelin (Zoladex) in the management of mastalgia