Seizures Decrease Rapidly After Fasting
The ketogenic diet seems to dramatically reduce the number of seizures in children with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, a disorder characterized by multiple seizure types. This diet was used in the 1920's, and was considered effective, then replaced by Dilantin, but the diet itself was never tested in a double-blind situation. A total of 17 children were admitted, fasted to bring on ketosis, and maintained on the diet. The diet had a dramatic effect on all children almost immediately, diminishing the number of seizures. To further check results, one child was given a glucose drink to negate ketosis.
Publication Name: Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine
Telemedicine: bringing the specialist to the patient
Many services are now available that make sophisticated medical technology quickly available to remote regions from groups of centralized specialists. These services include transmitting laboratory or X-ray images, virtual surgical assistance, and interactive medical consultations. Most of these services vary in cost and are accessed either over normal telephone lines or specialized lines. Potential complications include interstate medical-legal issues and reimbursement.
Publication Name: Nursing Management
- Abstracts: Staging laparotomy in Hodgkin's lymphoma: 1979 to 1988. Rapidly progressive sacroiliitis in a patient with lymphocytic lymphoma
- Abstracts: Bleeding diathesis coincident with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Rectal bleeding
- Abstracts: Depressed taste and smell in geriatric patients. Tropical taste. Don't blame your taste buds
- Abstracts: Progress Toward Poliomyelitis Eradication--West Africa, 1997-September 1998. The lesson of a poliomyelitis outbreak in the Netherlands
- Abstracts: Pain: persistence and disease. Access to community-based medical services and number of hospitalizations among patients with HIV disease: are they related?