Retinal arteriolar diameters and elevated blood pressure: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study
HIgh blood pressure and retinal arteriolar diameters are discussed relative to information from retinal photography that was part of the third examination of the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study, 1993-95, results of which are presented for 9,300 nondiabetic participants, 50-71 years of age. Results suggest retinal assessment may be of value in research on microvascular aspects of clinical cardiovascular diseases.
Publication Name: American Journal of Epidemiology
Retinal arteriolar diameter and risk for hypertension
Diameters of retinal vessels were measured from digitized retinal photographs of 5628 persons, 49 to 73 years of age and without a history of hypertension. Arteriolar narrowing may be linked to the occurrence and development of hypertension, as smaller retinal arteriolar diameters are independently associated with incident hypertension.
Publication Name: Annals of Internal Medicine
Retinopathy and risk of congestive heart failure
The relationship of retinopathy, a marker of systemic microvascular disease, to risk of congestive heart failure (CHF) is determined. It is found that retinopathy is an independent predictor of CHF, and that microvascular disease might play an important role in the development of heart failure in the general population.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
- Abstracts: Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. Childhood cardiovascular risk factors and carotid vascular changes in adulthood: the Bogalusa Heart Study
- Abstracts: Elderly licensure laws and motor vehicle fatalities. Flawed prescribing practices revealed. Groups urge warning label for medical devices containing toxic chemical
- Abstracts: Gastrointestinal tract: Part 1: Form and function. Procedures for cleansing, closing and covering acute wounds
- Abstracts: Efficacy of topical treatment with aescin and essential phospholipids gel in venous insufficiency and hypertension
- Abstracts: Efficacy of tropical treatment with Aescin and essential phospholipids gel in a microcirculatory model of venous insufficiency