The Safety of New Medicines: The Importance of Asking the Right Questions
The removal of five drugs from the market in one year should prompt the FDA, drug manufacturers, doctors and patients to do a better job of ensuring the safety of all drugs. A 1999 review by the FDA showed that policies to speed up drug approvals were not directly responsible for the recalls. However, the recalls still indicate a need for better postmarketing surveillance. Some have suggested forming an independent drug safety board, similar to the National Transportation Safety Board. Physicians can do much by resisting the pressure to prescribe new drugs if there is an older, safe alternative.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
Making it easy to do it right
A computerized system that reminds doctors to offer preventive medicine services to patients can be effective, according to a study published in 2001. Unfortunately, these systems require the integration of medical data from diverse sources, which may not be technically feasible. They must also present the reminders in a way that does not reduce productivity.
Publication Name: The New England Journal of Medicine
Secondary transport of the critically ill and injured adult
Secondary transport is used to transfer patients in critical condition from one hospital to another for further clinical care. The important issues related to emergency medicine during transportations and importance of proper training given to the staff while transferring critically ill and injured patients are discussed.
Publication Name: Emergency Medicine Journal
- Abstracts: The simple secret to a healthier diet: eat at the right time
- Abstracts: The HRT dilemma. Herbal medicine is potent in estrogen. Estrogen's a natural in herbal remedies
- Abstracts: Dignity to the end. Importance of brainstorming. The importance of culture throughout all of life and beyond
- Abstracts: The need for primary quality control of commercially available immunoassay kits. Aircraft air quality research
- Abstracts: Hissy fits: a user's guide. Are you in the wrong profession for your personality? What's your parenting personality?