The skin bag
A psychologist describes her experience with skin cancer. After the inadvertent discovery of possibly cancerous tissue on her nose at a doctor's office, a biopsy is scheduled. The biopsy reveals the need for surgery to remove cancerous tissue and reconstructive surgery to repair the patient's nose. The lesson of the experience is that the essential self is not a matter of physical skin but spiritual soul. The tragedy of surgery provides a liberation for the self.
Publication Name: Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
The Skin Cancer Paradox of Psoriasis: A Matter of Life and Death Decisions in the Epidermis
Psoriasis plaques are often treated with known carcinogens such as crude coal tar, UV light, and immunosuppressive agents but do not get skin cancer at the location of the plaques. The same applied to patients exposed to environmental arsenic. The patients may develop skin cancer at other locations on their bodies.
Publication Name: Archives of Dermatology
Learning enhancement with neuropeptides
A study is conducted to evaluate whether two synthetic peptides could enhance performance in a learning and memory paradigm when administered either prenatally or to aged mice. Findings suggest potential therapeutic interventions during critical developmental period and in aged animals.
Publication Name: American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Abstracts: Sleep patterns in young babies. Resolving infant sleep problems. Dying for a snooze: Sleep deprivation can have serious physical and psychological effects, from paranoia to an inability to carry out the simplest tasks
- Abstracts: Investigating incidental remission of subpontic hyperostosis. ANSI Z9 investigating development of a new IAQ standard
- Abstracts: Yoga: A class act. Lifesaving science now! Science magic
- Abstracts: The drug crisis: hearing and heeding its message. Removing the glamour. Empowering the impaired: A parents' guide to technological advancements for the hearing and visually impaired
- Abstracts: Home is best. Buying a car: how to get the best deal. Best way to kill bacteria? Stop them talking