Joe Hutton, 1923-1995
Joe Hutton, known as one of the great Northumbrian pipers, died July 1995 at 71. Hutton was a shepherd who took up reed-making after a heart by-pass operation in 1983. But he is remembers as one of the great exponents of the bellows-blown Northumbrian small pipes. He was seen frequently on radio and television and made a number of recordings.
Publication Name: Folk Music Journal
Buddy, I can spare you a dime
A writer makes a practice of intentionally leaving behind coins enclosed in an envelope with a self-addressed postcard. The donor, in a small note, requests the recipient to relay how the money was spent. Majority of the recipients do not reply but those who do relate fascinating anecdotes.
Publication Name: Utne Reader
Subject: General interest
New and improved
Six items on a self-improvement test, sloth, procrastination, anxiety, substance abuse, irritability, and ingratitude, are self-tested, and a score of 10 or more indicate the need for self-improvement. At least from January 1 through the end of February good intentions will abound.
Publication Name: The New York Times Magazine
- Abstracts: Samuel Preston Bayard, 1908-1997. Edith Fowke, 1913-1996. Kenneth Goldstein, 1927-1995
- Abstracts: Margaret Dean-Smith, 1899-1997. Samuel Preston Bayard 1908-1997. Margaret Dean-Smith 1899-1997
- Abstracts: As Good As It Gets. Russound. Sharp XV-C10U
- Abstracts: The softer side of DVD. Crescendo cabinet
- Abstracts: Building a Legacy. Play: A Very Serious Business