Border hot spot San Diego: from 'swords to cell phones'
The San Diego Economic Development Corp. has been at the forefront of the conversion of San Diego, CA, from a 'military complex' economy to a global economic powerhouse. The organization has been instrumental in attracting investments to San Diego, whose pool of skilled workers formerly belonged to the military complexes dotting the area. Much of the investments are in the communications services sector, with call centers establishing facilities in the area. San Diego is busy developing three industrial/commercial sites: the Kearny Mesa, the Otay Mesa and Poway, which the city hopes will house its future manufacturing, transportation, services and communications industries.
Publication Name: Site Selection
Subject: Real estate industry
Molybdenum bolsters the bioinorganic brigade
Molybdenum's availability and solubility in water makes it important in the catalysis of enzymes and industrial chemicals. Hermann Schindelin has determined the crystal structure of a Mo enzyme, a reductase of Rhodobacter Spheroides that catalyzes dimethyl sulfoxide into dimethyl sulfide.
Publication Name: Science
Subject: Science and technology
Are you television-obsessed?
A teen believes her contemporaries watch too much television and are unhealthily influenced by it. She urges teens to overcome their psychological domination by learning about the media and communicating to the industry their desires for socially responsible programming.
Publication Name: Teen Magazine
Subject: Fashion and beauty
- Abstracts: When slide rules ruled. The caiman trade. Trade rules
- Abstracts: Metal clusters and magic numbers. Private numbers. A cloud forest by numbers?
- Abstracts: Molding with metal. Metal-metal bonds in bimetallic surfaces. Metal of honor
- Abstracts: A real bullet train. "Negative viscosity" in a magnetic fluid. Magnetic horseshoes
- Abstracts: The Y2K Problem. Ecoseals: little more than a pretty package. Y2K: so many bugs ... so little time