An evaluation of a family visit education program
Educating family members about effective communication can have a positive effect on nursing home residents with dementia. Researchers measured the effect of eight-week training on 66 dementia patients and their most frequent visitor. Training consisted of group sessions and family conferences. Although patients improved psychologically and had fewer problem behaviors after three months and six months, this did not substantially change nursing requirements. Communication between residents and visitors improved in this study.
Publication Name: Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Quality of the caregiver-care recipient relationship: does it offset negative consequences of caregiving for family caregivers?
The quality of relationship between caregiver and care recipient is a mediator of the linkages between the presence of problem behaviors and the outcomes of role captivity and depression. It also moderates the linkage between disability and overload. This was found in an examination of whether the quality of relationship between caregiver and care recipient mediates, moderates or both mediates and moderates the associations between caregiving stressors and negative consequences related to caregiver well-being.
Publication Name: Psychology and Aging
You're forbidden to visit your grandchildren
A case relating the loss of visitation rights of grandparents with their grandchildren is presented. The pain due to the loss is explained. Visitation cases are increasing and grandparents usually lose their right since parents have the greatest influence.
Publication Name: New Choices for Retirement Living
- Abstracts: Relation of age and physical exercise status on metabolic rate in younger and older healthy men. Dissociation of changes in metabolic rate and blood pressure with erythrocyte Na-K punp actvity in older men after endurance training
- Abstracts: Effects of familiarity of task and choice on the functional performance of younger and older adults. Differential age-related processing limitations in recall and recognition tasks
- Abstracts: Relationship of physical disease and functional impairment to depression in older people. Are backward words special for older adults?
- Abstracts: A funny thing happened on the way to decorum. Love for sail. The hardest thing a mother has to do
- Abstracts: Feminism and critical educational gerontology: An agenda for good practice. How good a retiree are you - or will you be?