Religious effects on health status and life satisfaction among black Americans
The positive effect of religion, whether organized, non-organized or subjective, on the health and life satisfaction of Black Americans is validated using a parsimonious theoretical model. Religiosity is also found to vary among blacks depending on their marital status, educational attainment, income, region, urbanicity, and more particularly, age and gender. Collectively and individually, therefore, religion plays an important part in the life course of Black Americans.
Publication Name: The Journals of Gerontology, Series B
Marriage and romantic involvement among aged African Americans
The extent and structure of marriage and romantic involvement among older African American were studied through multivariate analysis of a nationalsurvey. Results showed that men and younger respondents were more likely than women and older respondents to be married and have or desire to have romantic involvement. These may have an impact on the support networks, living arrangements and income adequacy of older African American women in general.
Publication Name: Journals of Gerontology
- Abstracts: Blood pressure and mortality risk in older people: comparison between African Americans and Whites. Impact of depressive symptoms on hospitalization risk in community-dwelling older persons
- Abstracts: Dementia as a risk factor for falls and fall injuries among nursing home residents. Medical care for nursing home residents: differences by dementia status
- Abstracts: The relationship between prior knowledge and face recognition memory in normal aging and Alzheimer's disease. Prior knowledge and face recognition in a community-based sample of healthy, very old adults
- Abstracts: Activity and mortality among aged persons over an eight-year period. Predictors of health status in middle-aged and older Mexican Americans
- Abstracts: Value of combined assessment of physical health and functional status in community-dwelling aged: a prospective study in Florence, Italy