Medical conditions associated with driving cessation in community-dwelling, ambulatory elders
A study of older adults age 70-96 in Florida revealed that 17% had quit driving. With few exceptions, older or disabled individuals are allowed full driving privileges, so stopping driving is voluntary. Retired drivers tended to be female and older. Sixty percent reported that they stopped driving voluntarily; 32% cited health reasons for stopping; less than 2% had their licenses revoked. Fifty percent of the decisions could be related to health-related conditions including macular degeneration and retinal hemorrhage.
Publication Name: Journals of Gerontology
Graying of Japan: Choju Shakai
This article examines the challenges Japan faces with extreme population aging and lack of adequate social services. The author, focusing on family relations, health services, retirement, and the economic well-being of the aged, maintains there is an increased demand for social and health services for the aged, but a declining tax base to provide these services as a large portion of the population settles into retirement.
Publication Name: Ageing International
Community characteristics associated with elder abuse
Data from Iowa have been used to look for association between county chracteristics of 99 counties and rates of elder abuse between 1984 and 1993. Univariate correlation analysis and stepwise linear regression were used. County demographics were found to be risk factors for reported and substantiated elder abuse with the strongest risk factor for reported elder abuse reported child abuse..
Publication Name: Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- Abstracts: Factors associated with brain donation among optimally healthy elderly people. Causes of death and clinical diagnostic erros in extreme aged hospitalized people: a retrospective clinical-necropsy survey
- Abstracts: Choice Champions: youth outreach. Choice Champions: community action. Choice champions
- Abstracts: Religious activity improves life satisfaction for some physicians and older patients
- Abstracts: A funny thing happened on the way to decorum. Love for sail. The hardest thing a mother has to do
- Abstracts: Prevalence and outcome of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus colonization in two nursing centers in Georgia