The end of the Mad Hatters
The SDP, which was founded in spring 1981, merged with the Liberal Democrats in 1988, but had a considerable impact on politics in the UK during the short period in which it was an independent party. It was extremely successful in mobilising political opinion, attracting into politics around 60,000 people who had never previously actively supported a political party. The party had no real long-term impact, however, and its former supporters have still not found a suitable alternative.
Publication Name: The Independent
Subject: Retail industry
The Body Shop: compassion, commitment, and commerce
The Body Shop has revolutionized the cosmetics industry by advocating alternatives to animal testing. It uses mostly plant-based ingredients as well as ingredients from animals that are not abused. It has also campaigned against animal testing and supports global wildlife protection programs.
Publication Name: The Animals' Agenda
Subject: Zoology and wildlife conservation
The digital job divide
The employment situation in the Virginia and Maryland suburbs of Washington, D.C., favored Virginia in the 1990s. In 2001 the impact of the Internet is set to make its mark and the job situation could change.
Publication Name: Washingtonian
Subject: Travel, recreation and leisure
- Abstracts: A Sun compass in monarch butterflies. Rock in the quarry
- Abstracts: The fossil Ainiktozoon is an arthropod. Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Abstracts: Height depends on month of birth. Lifetime contributor
- Abstracts: Structural biology and phylogenetic estimation. Sorry, we're fresh out of bulletproof vests
- Abstracts: Scientist's birthright. Plastic's fantastic!!