Computer use and abuse
The second annual conference of the Direct Marketing Computer Association addressed the questions of ethical management of mailing lists. The two most prevalent forms of unethical practices in the industry are: using multi-buyer names without prior approval, and updating a mailing list with information taken from a rented list. Mailing list houses are advised to send rental lists that meet the specifics of the contracted agreement and do not contain either extra information about names on the list or extra names. Segmenting lists according to demographic data files or credit card files is another way to abuse rented lists, unless a contractual agreement specifically permits such list segmentation.
Publication Name: ZIP-Target Marketing
A real-time computer for active control
Engineers at the GEC-Marconi Research Centre and at GEC ALSTHOM Mechanical Engineering Centre have been investigating a high performance digital signal processing (DSP) system which can be used for active control and other DSP applications. They first used this system for active control to cut vibration in complex mechanical structures. It uses 32 three-axis electromagnetic actuators, a specially-designed digital signal processor and more than 500 sensors. Research is now looking into applying the DSP system to other areas of active control.
Publication Name: GEC Journal of Research
Controlling substance abuse in the workplace
Drug abuse and alcoholism in the workplace can be counteracted. Job applications and drug testing can help screen job applicants. Both of the tactics should be used carefully to avoid legal action. Workers who abuse drugs or alcohol may be detected through searches, though these also must be handled carefully; rules for union and nonunion companies may differ significantly. First offenders should be offered counseling through employee assistance programs.
Publication Name: Business
- Abstracts: Pen computing: beyond the mouse and the laptop. God is in the details. Details Articulating Keyboard and Mouse Support
- Abstracts: Software Organizes Ideas As Well As Words. Getting smart with software
- Abstracts: Perspectives on computer ethics and crime. Human Ecological Perspectives on Norse Settlement in the North Atlantic
- Abstracts: Rationality, politics and healthcare costing. Costing the gold watch
- Abstracts: Can usury be justified? Sweden: political pragmatism unsettles the market. Islamic economics and islamic political economy