Management by example: developing transformational leaders
There are two basic types of business leaders: transactional leaders (TL's) and transformational leaders (TFL's). TLs are standard corporate executives. Their goals are the organization's goals; they define and communicate the work to be done. TL subordinates have clear-cut roles; and rewards and punishments are straightforward. Today's increasingly uncertain and ambiguous business environment also requires a different type of leader, a TFL. The TFL provides much of what the TL has to offer, as well as charismatic inspiration, intellectual stimulation, and individualized consideration. The TFL has the ability to relate to, stimulate, and draw a faithful following among his or her peers, subordinates, and superiors. Chrysler Corp chmn Lee Iacocca is cited as a TFL.
Publication Name: Business
Impact of sanitary and phytosanitary standards on developing countries and the role of the SPS agreement
The role and effects of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Agreement on the feasibility of export trade by developing countries were examined. The goal of the SPS Agreement is to facilitate discussion under the supervision of the World Trade Organization. Ways in which developing countries can take advantage of of the operation of the SPS Agreement are proposed. The manners in which the standards operated by certain countries may act as a trade barrier to exports from developing countries were also examined.
Publication Name: Agribusiness
Finance leaders adapt to new challenges
The results of a survey on the adaptability of financial managers of American companies to different situations are presented.
Publication Name: Treasury & Risk
- Abstracts: Capital budgeting: a key management challenge. Environmental issues: business' new challenge. Captives Still Attractive Despite IRS Disincentives
- Abstracts: OTP: maintaining a position of leadership. Leading the way in the Gulf. VTB: a new vector of leadership
- Abstracts: Searching for a lens. Searching for executive leadership in biotechnology. Pricing U.S. North Atlantic Bluefin Tuna and Implications for Management
- Abstracts: Directly to the reader. Vale to Raymond Chambers
- Abstracts: Payments under stock agreement were sales proceeds. Executive stock options and constructive sales