Personal characteristics and salesperson's justifications as moderators of supervisory discipline in cases involving unethical salesforce behavior
Role-playing sales managers were asked to evaluate the personnel records of a salesperson who has been found to be using an unethical selling practice. Overall, saleswomen and salespeople who were described as extremely overweight were evaluated more harshly. Using excuses as justification did not neutralize the sales managers' supervisory responses and, in the case of blaming one's unethical behavior on the unethical behavior of customers, harsher disciplinary treatment resulted. Attribution theory is used to explain the findings. (Reprinted by permission of the publisher.)
Publication Name: Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
The power of tests of fund manager performance
Recent studies have produced improvements to the methodology employed to determine whether or not fund managers can time the relative proportions of equity and fixed interest securities in their portfolios. Results of a study studying these refinements show that they do not actually lead to superior performance in ex-post assessments of the performance of fund managers. However, this level of forecasting ability is proposed to be enough to generate better returns on managed funds.
Publication Name: Journal of Business Finance and Accounting
Mutual fund manager forecasting behavior
The author finds that mutual fund managers tend to overestimate earnings when doing verbal reports preceding actual reports. He finds the reason for the overestimation to be over-optimism.
Publication Name: Journal of Accounting Research
- Abstracts: How to create a nimble organization. The dynamics of introducing performance metrics into an organization. Performance management: the foundation for a high-performance organization
- Abstracts: Foreign Ownership of U.S. Banks: Trends and Effects. Implications for Employee Ownership of Rath's Filing for Chapter 11
- Abstracts: Environment-strategy co-evolution and co-alignment: A staged model of Chinese SOEs under transition. Newspapers in State of Transition
- Abstracts: Marketing and production capacity strategy for non-differentiated products: winning and losing at the capacity cycle game
- Abstracts: Can usury be justified? Sweden: political pragmatism unsettles the market. Islamic economics and islamic political economy