Why should managers be thinking about technology policy?
Most courses on the management of innovation and technology rarely address government technology policies. This lack of willingness to explore this subject is the result of excessive zeal on strategy and structure. This is quite unfortunate considering how much business can be affected by the government's policies relating to technology. Such mandates can either help business, result in the wasteful use of corporate funds or actually undermine business. Therefore, managers of innovation and technology should always monitor technologies being introduced by the government. Presently, the most salient issues related to technology are government support of applied research, the decline in business-funded basic research and the complicated issues regarding intellectual property rights.
Publication Name: Strategic Management Journal
Answering Machines Worth Listening to
People are becoming more comfortable using answering machines, but the wide range of choices available in answering machines is confusing to many. According to several experts, however, the Code-a-Phone 2530 is about the best on the market today. It offers many desirable features in a compact unit for a price that is considerably less than its competition. Two other top rated machines which are reviewed include the Dictaphone Anasfone 797, and the Panasonic Easa-Phone line. Also included are tips about messages to leave, and etiquette for the answering machine owner and caller.
Publication Name: Money
Active Listening for Managers
Managers develop employees so they can improve their job productivity and efficiency. Managerial communication skills must be good. Listening intelligently is crucial to successful communication. Effective managerial listening can improve employee morale and prevent conflict from developing. Active listening is described here.
Publication Name: Credit & Financial Management
- Abstracts: Shares soar on new technology. Buy the shares but not the goods
- Abstracts: Applying technology to manufacturing cost reduction. World class manufacturing through people. The building blocks of manufacturing excellence
- Abstracts: Challenges for the ECB. Covering the world: the expanding U.S. tax treaty network. Combat by Trial
- Abstracts: Tracking the communications technology EXPLOSION. A New Beginning for Electronically-Saturated Metro Areas
- Abstracts: High Tech in Tech Training. Virginia's high-tech chip dreams take PR hit. Online program eases training woes