A conformational study of (1S, 2R, 5S)-(+)-menthol using vibrational circular dichroism spectroscopy
Predicted and experimental absorption and vibrational circular dichroism (VCD) spectra of (1S, 2R, 5S)-(+)-menthol have been studied from the perspective of conformational analysis. Harmonic force fields and atomic polar tensors (APTs) for 10 conformers were found using density functional theory (DFT) with the Becke3LYP functional and the 6-31G** basis set. Vibronic coupling theory (VCT) was used to predict VCD intensities. Predictions of VCD spectra and absorption based on an equilibrium mixture of conformers agreed with experimental data. That result indicates reasonable frequency and geometry analysis of each of the conformers.
Publication Name: Canadian Journal of Chemistry
Ultrasensitive chemical analysis by Raman spectroscopy
A discussion of ultrasensitive Raman detection based on surface-enhanced Raman scattering is presented. It is suggested that screening of single molecules in very small volumes using a mixture of scanning near-field microscopy and surface-enhanced Raman scattering offers interesting opportunities for future work on microinstrumentation for identifying single molecules in small volumes.
Publication Name: Chemical Reviews
Coherent excitation of vibrational modes in metallic nanoparticles
The steady-state and time-resolved electronic spectroscopy of metal particles, which is necessary for understanding the reason behind the appearance of vibrational motion in transient absorption traces, are presented. Excitation of metallic nanoparticles with an ultrafast laser pulse has resulted in rapid heating of the lattice mediated by electron-phonon coupling.
Publication Name: Annual Review of Physical Chemistry
- Abstracts: Kinetics of thermal racemization of (2S,3S)-1-13C-1,2,3-d3-cyclopropane followed by vibrational circular dichroism spectroscopy
- Abstracts: Structural studies of biomaterials using double-quantum solid-state NMR spectroscopy. Detecting microdomains in intact cell membranes
- Abstracts: Reactions and thermochemistry of small transition metal cluster ions. Surface chemistry and tribology of mems
- Abstracts: Computational modeling approaches to structure-functional analysis of G protein-coupled receptors. The nose as a stereochemist. Enantiomers and odour
- Abstracts: Ionophores for potentiometric and optical sensors. ISFET and fiber optic sensor technologies: in vivo experience for critical care monitoring