A challenging marketplace for venture capital
The challenges confronting the recession-plagued UK venture capital industry are discussed. Increased competition have forced venture capital firms to seriously tackle strategic issues of product and market choice. The industry's trend toward increasing concentration of capital funds into a smaller number of larger firms is noted. This trend is viewed as worrisome since it reduces the availability of venture capital funds for start-up and other early high-risk ventures.
Publication Name: Long Range Planning
The World Bank's Capital Plan
The International Finance Corporation (IFC) is proposing the establishment of investment trusts for individual developing countries. Shares in the trust would be issued to banks in exchange for existing loans in the developing country. Details of how the trusts would operate are given. The investment trust's shares would eventually be marketable. Disadvantages of the proposed system are mentioned.
Publication Name: Economist
Everybody into the pool; Vencap may be the biggest but many others are into the venture capital business
Alberta, Canada hosts 15 venture capital companies, including government-created giant, Vencap Equities Alberta Ltd. The $244 million Vencap fund has invested in 12 companies, including oil service companies and high-technology ventures. Critics charge that Vencap makes ultra-conservative investments.
Publication Name: Alberta Business
- Abstracts: Fashioning a new Korean model out of the crisis: the rebuilding of institutional capabilities. Japan's crisis: evolution and implications
- Abstracts: Predatory versus productive government: the case of U.S. agricultural policies. Government Intervention in Food Grain Markets
- Abstracts: French Supreme Court nullifies ICC practice for appointment of arbitrators in multiparty cases; ruling calls into question clauses and awards governed by French law or subject to interpretation or review by French courts
- Abstracts: A fine choice. Modeling voter choice to predict the final outcome of two-stage elections. Vote for the Mullah of Your Choice
- Abstracts: Factor market effects upon product market equilibrium. The information content of the paper-bill spread. The Factor Content of Foreign Trade