Monopoly in the UK: what determines whether the MMC finds against the investigated firms
The UK Monopolies and Mergers Commission is the investigating body for all cases of monopolies that have been potentially abusing their market dominance. A study investigated the Commission's decisions during the years covered by the provisions of the 1973 Fair Trading Act to determine what factors influence the this government agency's decisions using a simple statistical model. Findings indicate that within a purely factual context, the larger the market share of the market leader, the more likely the MMC will judge its monopoly practice as being against the public interest.
Publication Name: Journal of Industrial Economics
Helping firms expand into international markets
The Economic Development Corp. of Utah is a private, nonprofit organization that seeks to promote economic and business development in the state. Its Export Assistance Program offers an array of services to local companies doing business overseas. These services include marketing research, targeting studies, trade shows and catalog exhibitions, product promotion, and international lead generation and match. Steps for formulating and implementing such a program are presented.
Publication Name: Economic Development Review
High-tech firms and credit rationing
The availability of credit in the Italian high technology sector is one of the limiting factors that determines their R&D expenditure to cash flow. The limited availability of credit for high-tech firms stems from high risk perceptions of lenders on the projects. The limited credit availability is especially affecting the performance of innovative firms, which must engage in high risk-high return projects to maintain market share.
Publication Name: Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization
- Abstracts: Competitivity in auction markets: an experimental and theoretical investigatioin. Risk-return measures of hedging effectiveness: the case of multiple cash andfutures markets
- Abstracts: Testing for a unit root in time series with trend breaks. An integrated analysis of Turkish inflation. Near observational equivalence and fractionally integrated processes
- Abstracts: Technology policy in the 1990s: old trends and new realities. Trends and motives of organizational change in Hungarian industry - a synchronic view
- Abstracts: Exchange rate determination: empirical evidence for the Greek drachma. The equity premium and the risk-free rate
- Abstracts: Intellectual property rights and foreign direct investment: A disaggregated analysis. University governance and academic tenure: a property rights explanation