Charts blamed for QE2 grounding
A report into the grounding of the Queen Elizabeth 2 on passage from Martha's Vineyard to New York, in 1992 found that the charts used had over estimated the depth of water and were the main cause of the accident. Other contributing factors included high speed of 25 knots, and lack of planning as given in Merchant Shipping Notice M854 guidance. Recommendations from the report include further guidance by the Marine Directorate on squat and its effect on particular vessels and the inclusion of the age and nature of surveys on which charts are based.
Publication Name: Motor Ship
Subject: Transportation industry
Dual-use technologies rescue silent movies
Silent movies that are now deteriorating in 1995 are being saved by a system that scans the films by the use of a digital instrumentation magnetic recorder. The films can then be more safely preserved. Eastman Kodak 1019x1008 pixel CCD array camera is used to capture the images illuminated by a special Xenon 10 microsecond duration flash. A helium non laster is used to capture the audio.
Publication Name: Defense & Security Electronics
Subject: Electronics and electrical industries
Leader of the pack
The Samsonite Ultravalet Carry-on With Wheels is an excellent lightweight carry-on bag. It is a good purchase at $260. The SmartPack Collection is a group of suitcase organizers that are also good and sell for various prices.
Publication Name: Entrepreneurial Woman
Subject: Women's issues/gender studies
- Abstracts: Wastewater treatment technology. Inspection, measurement & test
- Abstracts: Communications technology demands more sophistication from workers in the field. GE develops communications system
- Abstracts: Karp leaves Harvey Electronics. The Ottawa eight
- Abstracts: Failure-mechanism savvy results in better arrester. Diminishing dividend
- Abstracts: Home-tek prepares for huge expansion. Multivariate cointegration analysis and the long-run validity of PPP