Sleuthing out gravitational waves
The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory and other upcoming instruments may accurately detect and analyze the weak gravitational waves to improve the understanding of the dynamics of violent events such as black hole explosion and neutron star-black hole interaction. A highly sensitive instrumentation supported by consistent detections can decide the 1987 supernova gravitational waves issue. Noise reduction techniques for greater sensitivity are also discussed.
Publication Name: IEEE Spectrum
Subject: Engineering and manufacturing industries
Terms used to describe weather events have evolved over the centuries with technological advances and a desire to better describe an event. The word frizzle describes a frozen drizzle. Analyses of what books that propose a change in history should be called and use of the -ee suffix are given.
Publication Name: The New York Times Magazine
Gwen Mellon set up a hospital in Haiti with her husband, Larry. Her work in Haiti is examined in detail.
Publication Name: The Economist (UK)
Subject: Business, international
- Abstracts: Collecting Garbage. Translating Data
- Abstracts: Holding onto Your High-Talent Professionals. Experimental tests of the endowment effect
- Abstracts: Creating an atmosphere. ITC Imposes Penalties on TVs from Korea, Taiwan
- Abstracts: North Ashington, Northimberland. Stretched: short thoughts on a lengthy subject
- Abstracts: Mappings. Searching for Lewis & Clark: journals offer clues to locations of campsites