Alive & kicking
The founder of a support group for women with advanced breast cancer discusses how and why she set up the group. She learned that women who attended a support group survived longer and had a better quality of life than those who did not. The group offers cancer patients the chance to talk about their feelings, gain confidence from each other and gives advice on how to discuss the subject with their family. A related article gives a case study of a patient with advanced cancer.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
Power to spare: an M&F editor sets down his pen to compete in the Strongest Man Alive contest
The editor of 'Muscle and Fitness' magazine's Health and Science section joined the 1998 Strongest Man Alive competition held in St Louis, MO. The event was won by Juja Tuhkasaari in the middleweight division and Jouko Ahola in the heavyweight division. Both Tuhkasaari and Ahola are from Finland.
Publication Name: Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness
"I faced down my rapist."
A woman who was raped at the age of 18 describes her experiences. Particular attention is given to her handling of her attacker's trial.
Publication Name: Glamour
- Abstracts: A shave better. Drink dos and don'ts. Juice machines: can you drink your way to better health?
- Abstracts: The Will To Live among HIV-Infected Patients. Root canals. Nd:YAG laser irradiation of infected root canals in combination with microbiological examinations
- Abstracts: She won't look at me. Scientific finding may lead to mad cow breakthrough. Serendipity in scientific discovery: a closer look
- Abstracts: Fever in immunocompromised patients. Cake masters. Dance fever
- Abstracts: For the love of Brian. Love at first glide. Why women love men