Arbitration without representation
Contractual dispute over reduction in hours for a hospital staff was resolved without court action. Arbitration resulted in a finding for the union based on a contractual provision requiring 2 weeks of negotiation prior to instituting any change in staff hours. The hospital administration was able to save costs by choosing to not pursue a protracted challenge.
Publication Name: Nursing Management
Twelve terrific things to do when you're bored, broke and trying not to nibble
People trying to lose weight often need to keep busy to avoid snacking. Tips include planning a garden or vacation, exercising, getting a haircut or makeover, volunteering for community service, starting a hobby like photography and taking adult education classes.
Publication Name: Weight Watchers Magazine
Games without frontiers
Issues concerning the benefit of therapeutic play to children who have experience of illness and hospitalization are presented. The use of play specialists in children's wards, as part of a total care strategy, is discussed.
Publication Name: Nursing Times
- Abstracts: Family cancer syndromes. Emergency medical help: alerting units quiet fears when you're home alone. Family medical tree: charting your health heritage can be valuable
- Abstracts: Prevention is better than cure. TB: cure, care and control. Prevention of complications related to contact lens wear
- Abstracts: Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of pharmacologic therapy: where we've been and where we're going. Conflict of Interest and Cost-effectiveness Analysis
- Abstracts: Mario Van Peebles gets buffed. The softer side of Ray Liotta. Boiling hot
- Abstracts: Pemetrexed (Alimta) for mesothelioma. Pleural effusion: from diagnostic thoracentesis to thoracoscopy. Malignant pleural mesothelioma