Arthritis medicines and cardiovascular events- "House of coxibs"
Physicians, patients and the general public are dealing with confusional state regarding the cardiovascular safety of medicines for arthritis. The National Cancer Institute announced the premature cessation of a trial of celecoxib known as Adenoma Prevention with Celecoxib (APC) due to significant excess of cardiovascular death, myocardial infarction (MI) and stroke on 17 December 2004.
Publication Name: JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association
Protein carbamylation links inflammation, smoking, uremia and atherogenesis
Studies about the cyanate formation and protein carbamylation, which is believed to promote vascular dysfunction during end-stage renal disease, are presented. The protein carbamylation mechanism is found directly linked to inflammation, smoking, uremia and coronary artery disease pathogenesis.
Publication Name: Nature Medicine
- Abstracts: Kidney disease and cardiovascular risk. Diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection
- Abstracts: Jeremiah Stamler, MD: Researcher, leader in cardiovascular disease prevention. Is PSA testing still useful?
- Abstracts: Pioglitazone and risk of cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Effects of rosiglitazone on the risk of myocardial infraction and death from cardiovascular causes
- Abstracts: The role of ACE inhibitor therapy in treating cardiovascular disease. Identifying and managing the complications of diabetes
- Abstracts: Chronic parotitis: diagnosis and treatment. Drug-induced paraparotid fat deposition in patients with HIV: case reports